Earlshall Castle has its origins in the 16th C. The origin of the name could date back to the Earls of Fife. Earlshall is slightly different from the standard L-plan tower house since it has an oval tower on one of the external angles and a stair tower in the re-entrant angle. Construction began in 1546 by Sir William Bruce and was completed by his great-grandson of the same name in 1617. The castle fell into disrepair and was rescued in 1891 when Sir Robert Lorimer started the restoration.
|Visitor Comments: |