Leuchars Community Website



Article


Cupar Corn Exchange


The Cupar Corn Exchange Company Ltd is recognised as being the oldest existing registered limited company in Scotland. Founded in 1860, its main aims included providing a hall for holding markets for the sale of grain and public meetings as well as carrying out the business of an investment trust company.

Its directors - four famers, two bankers, a writer and an ironmounger - were responsible for building the Corn Exchange, which opened in 1862 and is still the main meeting place in Cupar today.

The company sold the building to Cupar Town Council in 1961 - on condition that it continued to be used as a market and public meeting place.

Interestingly, it was sold for ?4,000 - its origional construction cost.

Profits from the sale went into the investment side of the company, which is now its sole business.

source: The Fife Herald, Friday June 8, 2007



Visitor Comments: [0]

Add your own comment




Site Navigation

Text-Only Version
Home
Tags
Community Council

Local History
all: News | Events | Photos
slideshow: Historic | Recent

Community Forums
Food & Drink
Accommodation
Things To Do Nearby

Services
Businesses
Organisations

St Athernase Church of Scotland
Tentsmuir Forest

Related Links


About Leuchars
Leuchars is located on the east coast of Scotland in Fife, near St Andrews.

St Andrews University is just 6 miles from Leuchars.

Leuchars has good bus and rail links. The railway car park has recently been upgraded and accommodates more parking spaces. A covered walkway is also in situ. There are busses every 15 minutes to Dundee and St Andrews.

A ten-minute drive leads to Tentsmuir Forest and Kinshaldy Beach beyond. Enjoy miles of clean, sandy beaches.

Dundee and St Andrews are within easy commuting distance.

Dundee, Scotlands 4th largest city offers Cinemas, a leisure centre, Ice rink, Repertory Theatre, and for the ladies shops galore.

Nearby St Andrews has a leisure centre, Byre Theatre and Cinema.

Leuchars Community Website

This project is supported by Leuchars Community Council [April 2007 - present]