Avro Tutor two seat basic trainer biplanes lined up for the Empire Air Day show at RAF Leuchars in 1938. RAF Leuchars in common with all other RAF air stations opened its gates to the public for the Empire Air Day events held across the country in late May. The event was held from 1935 to 1938 to encourage 'air-mindedness' in the general public and to generate interest and support for the Air Defence services both RAF and FAA. These later model Avro Tutor two seat training biplanes are lined up for public display at the 1938 Empire Day event at RAF Leuchars airfield. They will probably have been used on the day to give a formation flying display by the instructors of the No 1 Flying Training School hosting the event.
The Avro 621 Tutor was designed as a replacement for the Avro 504 basic trainer biplane in 1929. Some 436 went into military use between 1931 and 1936. Powered by a 240hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx radial engine its top speed was 120 mph with a cruising speed of 97 mph giving a range of 250 miles. Later models had a townend ring cowling, improved brakes and tailwheel and a tie rod between the upper and lower ailerons.
|Visitor Comments: |