Main Street, Leuchars, Fife, early 20th century. Leuchars is a settlement created by railways. In 1848 the Edinburgh, Parth & Dundee Railway opened from Cupar, Fife to a temporary terminus at Leuchars. The line was extended to Tayport in 1850 and in 1852 Leuchars Junction was created at the junction with the St Andrews Railway. From 1878 this was the starting point for the new main line to the Tay Bridge. A new station was built circa 1914. The railway to Tayport and the old station closed in 1956. The St Andrews line was abandoned in 1969.